Connect with us
Avatar

Published

on


Patrick Smith/Getty Images

It doesn’t take an NFL fan to know the Super Bowl officials had it in for the defending champions Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Chiefs 31-9 in Super Bowl LV at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Tampa Bay quarterback Tom Brady won his 7th Super Bowl ring and fifth Super Bowl MVP trophy.

It wasn’t supposed to be that easy for the 43-year-old who was facing media darling Patrick Mahomes, the Chiefs 25-year-old quarterback.

The game was marred by a flurry of foul calls that halted any momentum the Chiefs could muster. It was the first time in Mahomes’ NFL career that he failed to score a single touchdown in a game.

Patrick Smith/Getty Images

Kansas City was flagged 11 times for a combined 120 yards, while the Buccaneers received just four flags for 39 yards.

An interception by Kansas City’s Tyrann Mathieu that would have put Mahomes within striking distance of the end zone was called back on a holding penalty with the Chiefs down 7-3 in the second quarter.

When Tampa settled for a field goal after failing to convert a fourth down, they were gifted with a first down after Kansas City’s Mecole Hardman lined up offside, resulting in a penalty flag being thrown.

Brady took advantage of the opportunity by hitting Rob Gronkowski for a 17-yard touchdown.

Mahomes’ mother, Randi Mahomes, was livid after the game. She put the blame for the Chiefs’ stunning loss squarely on the Super Bowl officials.

“If you have the ref on your team is that really winning!!!,” she tweeted to Brady’s wife, Gisele Bündchen.

Photo may have been deleted

Chiefs defensive lineman Chris Jones also questioned the officiating.

“I mean, penalties cost the game either way,” he said. “Only the referees can call the penalties. So the penalties affect the game 1,000 percent. What can I say? We had a lot of penalties called on us today.”

Jones said he was “surprised” at the number of calls that went against his team.

“This is the Super Bowl. Usually you let the guys play, especially in the biggest game of the year. Penalties can change the game,” he said.

Brady was not the favorite to win the Super Bowl because he refused to denounce his friend, former President Donald Trump.

Social media users were outraged that Brady refused to wear a mask on the bench or during post-game celebrations.

Photo may have been deleted

Photo may have been deleted

Photo may have been deleted


Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

NY Times Columnist Calls Out Pepé Le Pew For Perpetuating Rape Culture

Avatar

Published

on

By


In keeping up with an ever-changing world, another childhood fave is being called out for problematic messaging.

Last week it was legendary children’s author, Dr. Seuss, for his work’s racist depictions of black and brown people. This week, in a NY Times Op-Ed article, a writer calls out some Looney Tunes cartoon characters. Most specifically, “Pepé Le Pew” for perpetuating rape culture.

According to TMZ, columnist Charles M. Blow wrote a thought-provoking op-ed piece titled “Six Seuss Books Bore a Bias” that highlights how deeply embedded racism is in American pop culture and points out just how early racist themes are fed to young children.

“Some of the first cartoons I can remember included Pepé Le Pew, who normalized rape culture; Speedy Gonzales, whose friends helped popularize the corrosive stereotype of the drunk and lethargic Mexicans; and Mammy Two Shoes, a heavyset Black maid who spoke in a heavy accent,” Blow wrote.

He maintained that the French skunk, who incessantly pursued Penelope Pussycat, time after time, normalized and perpetuated rape culture, and after some readers attacked his points, he took to Twitter with an example of Le Pew’s now-cringe-worthy, problematic behavior.

“RW blogs are mad bc I said Pepe Le Pew added to rape culture. Let’s see. 1. He grabs/kisses a girl/stranger repeatedly, w/o consent and against her will. 2. She struggles mightily to get away from him, but he won’t release her 3. He locks a door to prevent her from escaping.” It’s true … Penelope Pussycat was often in Pepe’s clutches,” Blow tweeted.

“This helped teach boys that “no” didn’t really mean no, that it was a part of “the game,” the starting line of a power struggle. It taught overcoming a woman’s strenuous, even physical objections, was normal, adorable, funny. They didn’t even give the woman the ability to SPEAK,” he explained.

Does he have a point?




Continue Reading

Entertainment

Prosecutors Move To Permanently Dismiss Charges Against Breonna Taylor’s Boyfriend, Kenneth Walker

Avatar

Published

on

By


Prosecutors in Kentucky are moving to permanently dismiss criminal charges against Kenneth Walker, the boyfriend of Breonna Taylor, in the wake of legal battles that have lasted almost an entire year.

According to CBS News, the move will mean that Walker will be unable to be recharged for the crimes if the judge grants the request in the motion from the Commonwealth Attorney for Jefferson County.

Walker was originally charged with assault and attempted murder of a police officer after he allegedly opened fire and wounded a Louisville Metro Police Sergeant last March during a chaotic raid at Taylor’s apartment.

Officers stormed Taylor’s apartment looking for an ex-boyfriend of hers in a raid to search for illegal drugs. Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical technician with no prior criminal record, was fatally shot during the melee.

Walker said he thought that he and his girlfriend were the victims of an attempted home invasion, and his lawyers have argued that he was acting in self-defense.

While charges against Walker were dropped last May, they were dropped by prosecutors without prejudice — which meant he could face the same charges again in the future. At the time, Jefferson Commonwealth’s Attorney Tom Wine said that more investigation was necessary and warned that Walker’s case could be brought before a grand jury again if necessary.




Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kehlani Shows Support to Women Accusing Actor Kaalan Walker of Sexual Assault

Avatar

Published

on

By


Kehlani has come forward to use her platforms to show support for the women who have made claims of sexual assault against a rapper, actor, and photographer named Kaalan Walker.

Kehlani took to her Twitter account to help spread awareness about the claims made by numerous women.

“I apologize in advance if everything I’m going to be retweeting involves rape & assault, I am standing with the victims of a serial RAPIST who i knew personally to be aggressive, dangerous & twisted,” she tweeted after giving her followers a trigger warning.

Kehlani claimed Walker was released on bail & was already back to shooting photography. “Refer to all my retweets for all of the details on his case, stories from his victims, directly from their mouths. resources on how to support them/fight for them,” she continued.

Walker is a 23-year-old actor who appeared in the movie “Superfly.” He was arrested back in September of 2018, after multiple women came forward accusing him of sexual assault and rape in numerous of incidents that dated back to April 2016.

Walker was released Friday on a $1 million bail and immediately took to social media to proclaim his innocence posting videos of his release and thanking ASAP Rocky for “saving his life.”

ASAP Rocky responded to Walker’s post on Twitter saying, “Huh?? IDK That Clown And I Ain’t bail out Sh*t. Stop playing wit me.”

Walker also took aim at Kehlani for “breaking his heart” and vowed, “I will not be bullied, especially as an innocent black man. I’m just addressing the things that were said about me, I have a right to defend my character,” he wrote in his IG story. He also clarified that he never said ASAP Rocky bailed him out but “saved my life.”




Continue Reading

Most Popular

Copyright © 2020 The Nashville Celebrity by TSD