Connect with us
Avatar

Published

on


As part of his efforts to address racial injustice, President Joe Biden signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice to end its contracts with private prisons.

“This is a first step to stop corporations from profiting off of incarceration,” Biden said.

According to Susan Rice, President Biden’s domestic policy adviser, “there was a Department of Justice inspector general report in 2016 that underscored that private prisons funded by DOJ were less safe, less secure and arguably less humane.”

“Private prisons profiteer off federal prisoners and are proven to be, or found to be by the Department of Justice inspector general, less safe for correctional officers and prisoners,” she continued.

The new policy directs the Justice Department attorney general not to renew its contract with privately-operated prisons, AP News report.

“President Biden is committed to reducing mass incarceration while making our communities safer, and that starts with ending the federal government’s reliance on private prisons,” Rice added.

Before Biden’s executive order announcement, the federal Bureau of Prisons had already decided not to renew several contracts with private criminal detention facilities due to a decrease in inmates–many were given home confinement because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

While many in Biden’s administration view the order as a step in the right direction, one group sees it as “a solution in search of a problem.”

A spokesperson for GEO Group, a private company that runs federal prisons, stated, “given the steps the BOP had already announced, today’s Executive Order merely represents a political statement, which could carry serious negative unintended consequences, including the loss of hundreds of jobs and negative economic impact for the communities where our facilities are located, which are already struggling economically due to the COVID pandemic.”

While the new order ends the federal government’s reliance on privately-operated prisons, David Fathi, director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s National Prison Project, mentioned that it does not end the dependency on ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) facilities.

“The order signed today is an important first step toward acknowledging the harm that has been caused and taking actions to repair it, but President Biden has an obligation to do more, especially given his history and promises,” Fathi said.

President Biden’s latest executive order continues to use his first 100 days as president to undo Donald Trump’s decisions during his four years in office.

“We must change now,” the president said on Tuesday. “I know it’s going to take time, but I know we can do it. And I firmly believe the nation is ready to change. But government has to change as well.”




Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

Woman Turns Capitol Rioter Ex-Boyfriend Into The FBI After He Called Her A “Moron”

Avatar

Published

on

By


A woman turned her ex-boyfriend into the FBI for storming the Capitol after he called her a “moron” via text message.

Richard Michetti may have gotten away with his role in the violent Capitol riot had he been a little nicer to his ex-girlfriend. Now, the Pennsylvania man is one of over 200 citizens facing charges for the January 6th riot.

In the arrest warrant, Michetti was arguing with his ex-girlfriend soon after the failed siege. The argument stemmed from him sending photos and videos from the riot to his ex, who remains unnamed. In the messages, Michetti insisted that the 2020 election had been rigged in favor of Joe Biden.

“If you can’t see the election was stolen you’re a moron,” Michetti wrote in the message.

The next day, the woman contacted federal authorities.

Also included in the arrest warrant are photos depicting the Trump supporter both inside and outside the Capitol on January 6th, as well as a hotel receipt confirming he was in Washington, D.C. on that day.

“We stormed the building, they held us back with spray and teargas and paintballs,” he confessed in one text.

Michetti was arraigned in court on Tuesday. His charges include knowingly entering a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds, and obstruction of Congress.




Continue Reading

Entertainment

Chilling video captures the moment Lady Gaga’s dog walker was shot (Video)

Avatar

Published

on

By


BACKGRID

Harrowing surveillance footage captured the moment when a dog walker for pop singer Lady Gaga was shot and two of her French bulldogs stolen.

The dog walker, identified by WENN.com Ryan Fischer, 30, was caring for the singer’s beloved dogs while she is away in Rome, Italy.

The video, obtained by TMZ, shows a man walking three dogs on a sidewalk late Wednesday night.

Then a white sedan, possibly a Nissan Altima or Sentra, pulled up alongside him and two men exited the backseat.

One suspect is heard yelling “You know what this is!” and “Give it up!” as Fischer screamed for help.

One of the dogs escaped while Fischer fought with the suspects who grabbed the other two dogs. One of the thugs shot Fischer in the chest before the suspects sped away with the two dogs.

Fischer fell to the ground, screaming “Help me! I’ve been shot!”

Police confirmed the dog walker was shot once in the chest — not four times as was previously reported.

BACKGRID

Lady Gaga’s team confirmed to PEOPLE that Gaga “wanted” the surveillance video “to be seen to catch the shooter and recover her dogs.”

She offered $500,000 for the safe return of her pets.

Gaga is in Italy prepping to film her new movie “Gucci.” A source told “Entertainment Tonight” that she is “beside herself” and “is horrified that this happened.”

“Her dogs are her babies and she is completely devastated and sickened by this,” the source said, adding that the singer feels “helpless” because she is far away.

CAUTION: This video contains graphic violence and may be disturbing to some viewers.
 

Posted in Crime

Tags: armed robbery, celebrity pets, crime news, dognapper, Lady Gaga, surveillance video


Continue Reading

Entertainment

Kyrie Irving Reignites Movement To Make Kobe Bryant The NBA Logo

Avatar

Published

on

By


Kyrie Irving is pushing to reignite the movement to have Kobe Bryant’s likeness used as the official NBA logo.

On Wednesday, Irving posted a mock-up designed by Tyson Beck, that uses an image of Kobe Bryant with the caption “Gotta Happen, idc what anyone says. BLACK KINGS BUILT THE LEAGUE.”

Kyrie’s post garnered lots of support from other celebrities like Dez Bryant, Stephen Jackson, and Kobe’s widow Vanessa- who liked the post.

Jerry West, the NBA legend who is currently featured on the league’s logo, has previously said he’s open to the update as well.

Check Also

A Chicago teen has created a Facebook group dedicated to helping the elderly community sign …




Continue Reading

Most Popular

Copyright © 2020 The Nashville Celebrity by TSD