Connect with us
Avatar

Published

on


A Venezuelan oil tanker sitting idle in the Gulf of Paria for the last two years appears to be leaning heavily on its side.

According to CBS News, the tanker is carrying 1.3 million barrels of oil — five times the amount of the EXXON Valdez spill — and would devastate already threatened wildlife in the area if it were to spill.

The Nabarima is part of a joint venture between Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA) and Italy’s Eni SpA. It has been stranded since January of 2019. A spokesperson for Eni told Reuters that they are waiting for a “green light” from the United States government to offload oil to “prevent any sanctions risk.” 

Gary Aboud, corporate secretary of Fisherman and Friends of the Sea, visited the vessel on Friday and estimated the tanker is leaning about 25 degrees and calls for a national emergency.

Aboud posted a video to Facebook of his visit, with the ship seen severely leaning behind him.

“It appears that the Nabarima’s situation is worsening daily,” the post reads.

PDVSA has previously denied the ship poses a threat. Still, in a press release, Maria Gabriela Hernández Del Castillo of the Commission of Environment, Natural Resources, and Climate Change of the Venezuelan National Assembly said the ship is leaning more than what the group reported in August. 

In her statement, Hernández said, “sanctions are a cheap excuse” and would not affect those unloading crude oil from the Nabarina.

A spokesperson for Eni told CBS News that after “formal assurance” from the U.S. government that they will face no sanctions, the company would begin to unload the oil. 

“Eni is ready to perform activities to ensure the safe offloading of the Nabarima FSO offshore Venezuela, using state-of-the-art solutions,” the spokesperson told the outlet.

Gary Aboud Facebook




Advertisement
Comments

Entertainment

Ethiopia Habtemariam Promoted To Chairman And CEO Of Motown Records

Avatar

Published

on

By


Ethiopia Habtemariam has been promoted to the chairman and CEO of Motown Records.

After six years serving as president of Motown Records, Habtemariam has officially been promoted to CEO. She will now report directly to Universal Music Group chairman and CEO Sir Lucian Grainge. As a part of Habtemariam’s promotion, she will now have more independent power.

Before her new title, Habtemariam managed Motown’s move from New York to Los Angeles in 2014, Yahoo! News reports. She will now move forward with Motown’s mission to develop partnerships with creative and entrepreneurial brands and entities, including Atlanta-based Quality Control Music (QC). The collaboration with QC has jumpstarted the careers of popular artists, including City Girls, Migos, Lil Baby, and more.

“Motown is such an important voice and, just as when it was founded by Berry Gordy, its impact continues to be felt around the world. Motown’s resurgence and powerful partnerships under Ethiopia’s leadership has advanced the label’s legacy as home to some of today’s biggest hitmakers and most meaningful voices in music,” said Grainge in a statement.

In response to the new move, Habtemariam called her promotion an “honor.”

“It’s an incredible honor to represent and define what Motown is today. I’ve always understood the power of music and the responsibility I have, not only to continue to be an advocate for artists and creators, but to forge new paths for entrepreneurs and to lift up our next generation of executives around the world. I’d like to thank Lucian for his constant support and guidance over the years; my Motown team for all they have done and continue to do; the Capitol team for their help in building Motown over these past six years; Clarence Avant who has always taught me about the power of responsibility; and to Mr. Berry Gordy, for his faith in me to carry on his legacy.”




Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘My Biggest Concern Was History Repeating Itself’

Avatar

Published

on

By


Prince Harry told Oprah Winfrey that he was scared “history would repeat itself” before leaving the royal family.

It’s been one year since Prince Harry and Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle exited Buckingham Palace following a slew of attacks from the British media. Now, in a new clip from the couple’s first full-length interview since their exit, Harry tells Winfrey that he was afraid his family would suffer the same scrutiny his mother, Princess Diana, did.

“For me, I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side because I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for her going through this process by herself,” Harry said in the clip. “It’s been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we had each other,” he added.

Diana’s mistreatment by the British media was heavily documented and has been portrayed on television for years, most recently in Netflix’s series “The Crown.” Harry has been very open about condemning media, highlighting the photographers who chased after his mother the night she died. Diana died in a car crash in 1997 as paparazzi were pursuing her.

The new interview is set to air on Sunday; Winfrey says nothing is off-limits. “Were you silent, or were you silenced?” Winfrey asks Markle in her separate interview. “You said some pretty shocking things here,” Winfrey said.

Despite what people may think, Harry says leaving the royal family was a moment for the couple to take a step back. “It was never walking away; it was stepping back, rather than stepping down,” he said in a 17-minute interview with James Corden last week. He added that his “life is always going to be about public service. Meghan signed up to that, and the two of us enjoy doing that.”

 

 




Continue Reading

Entertainment

Man Says He’s Kim Kardashian’s Husband, Tries To Break Into Her Home

Avatar

Published

on

By


A trespasser claiming to be Kim Kardashian’s husband tried to gain access into her Los Angeles home last week.

The unnamed 24-year-old man managed to breach the main entrance gate at Kardashian’s Hidden Hills home at approximately 6:30 p.m. on February 24th. However, he was stopped before he could enter the house. When security questioned him, he claimed that he was married to the “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” star.

The security officers alerted law enforcement, who cited him for trespassing. The man was also placed on a 72-hour psychiatric hold but has since been released.

The ordeal was particularly frightening because it comes nearly four-and-a-half years after the 40-year-old beauty mogul was tied up and robbed by thieves in her Paris hotel room. Since then, she has noticeably increased her security, with guards at “every edge” of her property.

Neither Kim Kardashian nor her reps have publicly commented on the break-in attempt.




Continue Reading

Most Popular

Copyright © 2020 The Nashville Celebrity by TSD